Saturday 25 May 2013

To Teach or not to Teach Tech ?... that's the question

To Teach or not to Teach Tech, that is the question  ....

This week has been hectic, but I manage myself to come online and do some multitasking, but not to focus to do heavy reading after working long hours.
Only today I was able to watch the wonderful AITEFL Conference Evaluating Web Based Tools for Language Instruction byNik Peachey  
It was enlightening in the sense that we can feel sometimes overwhelmed by the great amount of tools available to teach Top 100 tools  , and we know there are more that are not in that list and everyday creative people all over the world are creating new ones, but during the conference Nik showed some criteria to evaluate , and choose which ones to use and which ones to avoid to enhance our teaching -learning process.

I have mentioned in my previous posts, that I have come to think and agree that the new literacy should be teaching to code  :

Mitch Resnick , Let's teach children to code

App teaching kids to code

and

Professor Richard Noss in Technology Enhanced Learning :http://www.tel.ac.uk/

With all that as a backup, I will say tonight, that if  I am asked to tech or not to tech, I will go and teach  tech in my class and will inspire others to do it, starting with my students, how am I going to do it ? I am not sure yet, but I will.

To finish I will quote Rt. Hon Michael Gove "Almost every field of employment now depends on technology.From radio, to television, computers and the internet, each new technological advance has changed our world and changed us too.But there is one notable exception.Education has barely changed ".

So, our mission as educators is to  : 
  • Connect
  • Share
  • Analyse
  • Assess
  • Apply
  • Personalise
  • Engage
  • Streamline
  • Include
  • Know
  • Compute
  • Construct

No comments:

Post a Comment